Captiva Island Land Activities
Whether you’re looking for the perfect seashell, a great place to build a sandcastle, or the perfect backdrop to relax, or a romantic place to enjoy the breathtaking sunsets; Captiva Island beaches offer them all.
A few accolades and awards won by Captiva Island & Captiva Island beaches include:
- 2014 – Coastal Living – Captiva Island voted #2 happiest seaside town
- 2014 – USA Today 10Best– Sanibel & Captiva ranked 6th best Birdwatching
- 2014 – FlipKey by TripAdvisor– Top Beach Vacations
- 2013 – Condé Nast Traveler Magazine – Sanibel & Captiva islands – chosen by Traveler Magazine for one of 5 Perfect Weekends in Florida
- 2013 – Travel & Leisure Magazine – listed Captiva Island as one of the most Romantic Beach Getaways in their August 2013 feature
- 2013 –Travel Channel– Top 10 Beaches in Florida– both Sanibel Island and Captiva Island make the top 10 list
Captiva Island Shelling
Shelling is fun for the whole family, and Captiva Island has a vast variety of shells to explore, admire and collect. Captiva Island is an island that is literarily made up of seashells, created over thousands of years and is considered one of the world’s best islands for shelling. The geography of the island lies east to west, rather than north to south, which allows an abundance of seashells to accumulate on Captiva beaches from the Gulf of Mexico.
The prized and highly sought-after Junonia Shell can be found on Captiva Island beaches. Previously housing a sea snail, this white shell, with distinctive spiral and brown spots, is “the” shell to find. While enjoying your search for prized-shells and simply unique shells, you may stumble upon beautifully built sandcastles, too!
Golf Cart Rentals, Scooter Rentals & Bicycle Rentals
If exploring the island on land is more appealing to you than by water, Captiva Island offers many ways to get around. You can rent scooters, bicycles or golf carts, to name a few. While touring the island you can expect to see exotic wildlife, historical buildings, dine at delicious restaurants and enjoy spectacular views of the Gulf of Mexico.
For more information about golf cart, scooter and bicycle rentals, please contact YOLO Watersports at 239.472.9656
The Captiva Island Inn also offers free rides to local restaurants on our S CAR Go trolley. Inquire at the front desk as to availability.